Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Parent Teacher Conferences

So last night was the conferences for both boys. I went in there was a pretty good idea of what I was going to hear, and that's about what we heard.

Gaelan - If there was any surprise to the night it was here. I knew he was doing good but at home G can be a bit scattered and I have a hard time getting him to focus, so I sometimes worried how he was in school, but I don't need to worry. His teacher said he is one of her best students. He comes in excited about learning everyday and is her best listener and following of directions. He's reading is excellent, slightly above grade level, and if there is anything to work on was for him to push himself a little more. His math, well, she said he has a real knack for it. He catches on much quicker than some of the other kids and seems to really love math as well. I was told something similar when he was in the pre-K program and I'm glad to see that it has continued. They didn't seem to do a lot of math in Kindergarten but I'm glad to see they are doing lots in first grade. She also said that he is a very kind and considerate child, always to tries to help, is friends with everyone, and really seems to care about others and their feelings. She also said he is pretty popular because he tells great stories. His report card was excellent and felt really pleased. I'm so glad that he is enjoying first grade so much!!

Donovan - I was surprised to hear that D is in the highest reading group in his class and actually she said he reads even better than that. Like I said before, so far this year every spelling test has been 100%, the only kid in the class to do this. She was very surprised when I told her that in first grade he was actually reading well below grade level and received extra help. He is doing great in science and social studies. She says that he is a very bright, eager student. We then turned to math. She told us what I expected. He has the basic concepts but is very hit/miss on how well he does. She agreed with my assessment that because it's "harder" for him to grasp, and takes a little work, he doesn't want to do it. He's not lazy, but math is not fun for him like the other subjects. He is by no means failing but he does need to work harder and get these concepts down so she suggested maybe the use of some math software for the computer might be a help so I'm looking at some options. Socially she said he too is doing well. She said he is exceedingly polite, always has a please/thank you, always waits his turn, always tries his best, is well liked by the other kids and she said he is "a joy to have" in her class. His report card for the most part was good, with a few mark down for the math concepts. She ended the meeting with "keep up the good work". At home lately DH has been a real handful, especially with DH, always pushing the bounderies, talking back etc. When we left the conference DH jokingly asked me why the teacher didn't send that child home to us, because the child at home is only remotely similar to the child she just described. Still I'd rather them misbehave at home than at school.

All in all I'm really pleased with my boys and downright proud. D has come sooooo incredibly far from that shy kid he was and G is just well, doing awesome. They may be a bit of a handful at home but it's nice to hear they aren't like that at school. I sounds like both of them are well on their way. Let's hope it continues for the rest of the year.

Today was a nice day for me. It was nice to send the boys back to school and enjoy the quiet of the house for a little while. I went out this afternoon with my MIL shopping. I'm amazed at the how Christmas is in *full* blown mode even though it's over a week until Thanksgiving. I understand the retailers make so much money on Christmas and they need to eek out every penny of it but it's sad too. You really don't have a chance to look forward to Christmas, it's just crammed down your throat, and I'm sorry, I can't think Christmas when the leaves are still on the tree and it's still above freezing. Don't get me wrong, I craft for Christmas all year long, I buy gifts all year long, but what I saw today was just a bit much. Then I heard on TV today that the city of Detroit is doing their tree lighting ceremony this Friday, before Christmas, again too soon.

I'm off to play some Scrabble with Steph while DH is at lodge. I like playing with her because sometimes I can win. I have only won 4 games of Scrabble in the 19 years DH and I have been together.

2 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, November 15, 2006 , Blogger Karoline said...

Congratulations to everyone on the great school reports

 
At 9:21 AM, November 21, 2006 , Blogger Stitcher S said...

That's great news on the conferences! I'm so happy for you, DH, and the boys.

I remember what grief you went through with that one teacher. I'm glad things are now how they should have been then. (Does that make sense?)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home