Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

UGH!!! I can't find Jason through all the noise!!

I should warn you the following is going to consist mainly of my Jason ramlbings...

Even though I didn't shell out the $12 for shipping my Jason Dual Disc CD arrived in today's mail. It's very slick looking. The liner notes are so funny to read and he even thanked his fan board, which in turn made me feel like he was thanking me personally(which I know he wasn't). I'm still confused with the whole school theme to it all but whatever.

The journal book was a tad of a disappointment. I had hoped for "old" journal entries(or should I call them blog entries now). The were instead entries he had written during the time of the making of the record(I should of figured). Probably half of them were ones I had already read and many of those I have printed and filed away already. Still they had some funny polaroids mixed in.

I had never seen a dual disc before. One side will play on a standard CD player, the other side plays on a DVD player and it contains a some promo clips, some stuff Jason shot himself, himself, lyrics, and photo's(maybe a few extra's I haven't uncovered yet) and the album in "surround sound". I put it in the DVD player and hit play.

The first song "Life is Wonderful" is one of the songs I was not a fan of when he played it last year in concert. I like what it says but not a big fan of the pacing or the melody of it. I have only ever heard it acoustically and it was almost jarring to hear all the other instruments and background vocals thrown in. Jason's voice sounds amazing, more so than ever, he has really grown in that aspect. It's so rich and full and I don't think it was all in the mix. His voice has really grown up and improved but it's hard to find it through all the other noise going on in the song.
Second song is "Wordplay". What can I say. I hate it. I hate it on the radio, I hate the video, hate it on the CD. It's not a surprise.

Third song "Geek in Pink". Again this one I've only heard him as live recordings. The first playing of it was with his band. It had a funky white boy soul bass line to it that was really interesting. I had also heard him sing this song at a couple of different tempo's so I didn't have one "set" version of it in my mind. From his promo video and the 30 second clip I heard on his site I knew the had "changed" it so that wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise again was finding him through the noise. There is too much stuff going around him that's it's hard to hear the beauty of the song or his voice. This album version however was completely unrecognizable from any of the versions I had heard. It wa the biggest disappointment on the album. I was so looking forward to this song, and they ruined it.

I turned it off after that song because I was feeling a little disappointed at what I heard so far. I knew it was more produced than his old album, I had heard it was "polished". I was ready for more music and backgrounds but I don't know if I was ready for it to sound so "slick".

I have heard other songs later on the CD are better and the are a couple that I don't have the "live" version of the song in my head so maybe it will be easier to hear them. Still I'm not blown away....I can't find him through the noise.

I also now more fully understand some the critical reviews I had read of this CD.

He's going to be on Leno tonight, singing "Wordplay" but I'll still tune in and take a look. I am now fair weather fan and I will love him always, even when he's singing a crappy song!

and maybe later after listening some more I'll have better things to say about it. Right now I'm kind of speechless(really, I am).

Still no word on the job for Billy. I'm going nuts but maybe by the end of the week. Today he's hanging out with his brother at his house. I'm glad for it. I love him, love having him home but sometimes I need my space. I also have to say I'm getting stick of this all "steak" diet he seems to be on. I know I should be thankful that after 17 years of being together he still desires me but I thought my days of daily steak(or even twice a day) were over. I guess not!

Something that just struck me as funny. I can't spell so I always run a spell check on just about anything I write. It's funny that "blogspot" tags the word blog as misspelled!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home