Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Now that is a MAN!!

This morning I was happy to run across the beginning of "Gone With the Wind" on cable. This is one of my very favorite movies and even though I own it on DVD it's always fun to run across it unexpectedly. I am a fan of the book as well but they are very different from each other(like the fact in the book she had kids with all her husbands while in the movie she only had Bonnie Blue Butler) and I can think of the two of them separately.

I love this movie for so many reasons. First of all it's so beautifully filmed and in such vibrant color. It's nice to see a old movie and know when you see a crowd shot you know that "all" those people were there and not "digitally" put in. Sure some of the scenes are kind of cheesy but for the time it was a great achievment.

I also think Vivian Leigh is the perfect Scarlett. Not only is she gorgeous but really does a great job of portraying her spunk and selfishness and eventual realization of love.

I also love Clark Gable in the movie. Now a days he wouldn't be considered handsome I'm sure. He's no Brad Pitt but in the beginning of the movie when he's standing at the bottom of the stairs and the camera pans down to him staring up at Scarlett he really does look like he knows what she looks like without her chemise on.

I love the way he woo's her and waits for her. He knows exactly what she is about and loves her for it. It's a shame they could never be on the same page at the same time.

I'm sure by today's standards it would be a dud but to me it's a truly classic movie that I enjoy every time I see it.

I couldn't help but wonder about Margaret Mitchell this afternoon. She wrote such an in depth, detailed, character driven novel. It's a huge book(over a thousand pages if I remember right) and then never wrote another book again.

Today felt like a more normal day since Billy left first thing this morning with his brother and friend to go golfing(their treat). He was gone until well after 4pm. I as able to get some much needed stuff done around the house. I think that is the hardest thing about him being unemployed is our schedules are all off. I feel funny stitching or cleaning in front of him because those were things I used to do when he was at work. It feels weird to have him watching me. I was able in between watching GWTW and stitching to pick up, do a little laundry and get dinner made.

I also decided that even though it's summer and it was a bit warm today I made a turkey for dinner. It wasn't a whole turkey but a turkey breast. They were on sale at the grocery store so I got it for .80 a pound. We had gravy, mashed potatoes, corn and rolls with it. It was really good and I have enough meat to make sandwiches for quite awhile. I'm also going to send some over to my MIL house because there is no way we can eat it all.

The other hard thing about this is my inability to shut my mind off at night. I'm doing much better about not fretting too much because I know it's pointless and you can only worry so much before you run out of energy for it. At night it's a whole new ball game. Some of it I know is the upset in schedule, we are all sleeping later, so we are going to be later. It never fails the second I get into bed my mind runs a million miles an hour. If I watch TV then I feel sleepy, when I turn it off then I'm wide awake. Last night I wasn't asleep until after 3am and up at 7am. I'm hoping maybe tonight I'll sleep.

I also felt a tad angry at DH last night. He doesn't seem worried at all. In fact he is more relaxed then he's been in years. He went out with a friend the other night for a drink and she told him that he looks a good ten years younger and she is right, he does. He looks tan(from playing ball with the kids and a couple of golf trips with his brother), well rested, he's lost a little weight, and his psoriasis is hardly noticeable(he got in the pool last weekend. Normally his legs are not so great looking so he's self concious of them. They are almost cleared up as well as his arms, the back of his hands are normally very red looking but they are almost psoriasis free). I'm not saying that I don't think he's unconcerned with the situation and frankly I think it would freak me out more if he was freaked out but I couldn't help but be angry with him for taking it so much better than I. You would think I was the one laid off!! My rational mind is really thankful that he is this interlude to rest and recharge but my not so rational side it a tad annoyed with is "I have a good feeling, everything will work out" attitude.

I got a lot of progress on my project today. She now has a hand and I'm getting more of her dress done. She is moving along quickly and still really holding my interest. I think this is the longest I've worked on one single project without getting distracted by something else. The only thing that is frustrating me is the fabric count. I bought 32ct hand dyed fabric because 1) that's what the pattern called for and 2)I could then fit it on a fat quarter. I had never worked with a hand dyed before and I did not realized the shrinkage that occurs. It's not just the fuding I've had to do with the gold beads(and some of that is Mill Hill's fault cause the beads are bigger than other color beads in the project) but I can't' stitch on the project at night. The holes are just too tiny for me to see even with my desk Ott-Lite. At least I hope it's the fabric and not my eyes....I am getting up there in age you know!

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, July 10, 2005 , Blogger Autumn said...

Margaret Mitchell did start writing another book, I can't recall the title of it, but I've read it. IIRC, she didn't finish it, but it was published fairly recently (like in the last 10 years or so) anyway.

 
At 7:36 AM, July 13, 2005 , Blogger Autumn said...

Lost Laysen is the name of the other novel that MM wrote. She wrote it when she was 15.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home