Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

A little vent here!!

My husband is a slob. He's always been a slob and it's not like it was a surprise when we got married(we did not live together before getting married). I've learned to live with it somewhat. We argued about it a lot when we were first married and both working full time. I wanted a more equal division of chores but I learned early on what I "wanted" and what I "got" were very different.

When I stopped working to stay home it didn't seem to be such a big deal. I was home, it was my job and as long as he was willing to help with the kids(feed, change diapers, take care of some of the night time stuff) I was Ok.

Now that he has been home for a few weeks it's starting bug me again. Some of it is now that he's home the dishes seem to have increased 10 fold. I encourage my kids to use the same glass all day, make sandwiches on a napkin instead of using a plate, simple little things that keep the number of dishes down. DH however seems to go through a dozen glasses a day and pretty much eats from sun up to sun down. Most pile up in the living room.

Yesterday with the cooking of the big Turkey meal I had a lot of dishes to do. I was very tired from not sleeping the night before and I asked nicely if maybe he could help me. I would do some, he could do some and it would be done in no time. He asked if we could put it off until Sunday. Fine.

I took something Saturday to help me sleep that night so I slept in a little bit this morning. When I got up I walked into the kitchen, hoping maybe he had done something, anything, but alas he had not. Before even eating I started to getting the kitchen under control. We do have a dish washer. It's old, it doesn't work very well, and uses a lot of water so it's not something I use on a daily basis. Since I had so many dishes though I filled it and then started in on a few of the pans.

I then moved on to doing a few other things around the house, laundry, mowing the lawn, vacuuming, picking up etc. I was in the basement or outside for awhile. I came back in hoping that maybe he had emptied the dishwasher, put the pots/pans away, or washed what was left(a couple of pans needed to soak). Nope, not a thing. He was in the same spot he had been in when I saw him an hour ago. Vegged on the couch, reading a book and Fox News in the background. I was really ticked. He had also dirtied quite a few dishes in making lunch for him and the kids. yes, I should be grateful he thought to make the kids dishes but do they really require two big plates for a PBJ sanwiches?

I don't expect him to do everything and if he was working again I wouldn't even of though of asking or expecting him to help out but he's been home now 2 1/2 weeks. He's been golfing several times with his brother, chats often with his brother via the phone or ICQ or out playing with the boys. I know he's trying to enjoy the time off he has and I'm sure once he's back to work he'll be working as hard as ever. I too am trying to enjoy this limbo we are in but really is a few dishes or putting some clothes away really that much to ask?

I love my husband dearly and I hate to complain, especially now, but it's frustrating to have someone in the house who can't seem to see a dirty dish or dirty clothes piled on the floor.

1 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, July 11, 2005 , Blogger Sue said...

Hugs to you! I think a lot of us know how you feel.

It's happened to me many times, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home