Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Mill Hill beads suck!!!

I'm down to just a little bit of beading left on my Christmas Flourishes. The Mill Hill beads though I think are going to be my downfall. I've mentioned all along the problems I've been having with the gold tone beads. They are HUGE. I used the gold beads first and got a lot of beading done thinking they looked really big on the fabric. I thought that it was because of the shrinkage of the hand dyed fabric and the fact that I was using regular mill hills on 32 ct fabric. When I then moved on to the other bead colors on the project I realized that the gold beads were bigger, not a bunch, but enough. I did ponder earlier in the project switching the beads to Delica's. I found the subs for them, found a place to buy them and they were only $11. Then Billy got laid off and I didn't want to spend the money so I went with what I had.

I thought I would be fine since I bought all the beads at once and figured I would just go along with them. I had to do a bunch of fudging but I learned a few tricks along the way and as long as I left a few beads off here and there it was ok. There are a few spots I still worried that the gold beads were over shadowing the nearby stitches but I figured I was too far along to change now.

Last night I'm beading away and realize my beading tray is empty of the gold beads. I pull out my supplies for the project and realized I was out of the gold beads. I was completely stumped. The supply list says I only need one package and I may of dropped a bead here or there but how could I be about 50 or so beads short? I'm thinking the beads were bigger and therefore I got less in the package then I should have.

I went to my stash and I had some more beads there. Of course they don't match. Color wise they are fine but the ones from my stash feel smaller and IMHO look smaller on the piece. I hate being so OCD but I know every time I look at the project I'm going to "see" the difference.

So now I have a decision to make:

Go on and finish. This is an option since the two kinds of beads will be separated by a few dress panels so it might not be as noticeable as I think

Tear all the gold beads out and use the one in my stash. This might be tricky since there are area's with gold beads, red beads, green beads and stitching that I did all at once. It would require taking out a lot more than *just* the gold beads.

Tear out *all* the beading, bite the bullet and get the Delica's and start over. I know they will fit and in grand scheme of things $11 isn't going to break the household budget.

At the moment I'm torn between the first option(just finishing it) or the last one(replacing them all with delica's).

The Michigan area stitcher's are coming over to my house this weekend for our ornament finishing party/Christmas GTG on Sunday so I may have them give me their opinions then and go from there. For not I think I'm going to work on another Christmas ornament and wait until after the weekend to decide.

This is it for Mill Hill's though. It's so convenient since most patterns call for them and most ONS's and LN's carry them. I also have many in my stash but this is the second time I've ran into a problem with them this year alone(earlier in the year I ran into a dye lot issue on some petites). I've never heard of anyone having problems with Delica's so how come Mill Hill can't seem to get the beads all the same size and similar in color?

We had a nice and productive Thanksgiving weekend. There was just the small hitch of Billy going out with Stephanie for drinks Wednesday night. I was not only annoyed that they were going out again but the way he told me, very off hand at breakfast that morning. True to his word though he went after the boys were in bed and was home within two hours, I still wasn't thrilled with him going.

On Thanksgiving we had a nice time. We had to do two dinner because Billy's mom refused to drive across town to have dinner at Billy's brother's house......Her excuse it's too far(12 miles and she had several offers of people to drive her there and back) and they eat too late(5pm). I sometimes just don't get Billy's mom and her relationship with her kids. The real reason was so she could have Brig and her boyfriend there. The more I'm around that guy the more I realize what an idiot he is. I can't believe she divorced her husband for that guy? I was also thrilled to hear that not only is her 18yo daughter living there(I knew that part) but her boyfriend is practically living there too....Nice!

We had a nice time at my BIL and SIL house after that. Her family are a lot of fun and there was so much food!!! I did see Diane there, I wished her a Happy Thanksgiving but I didn't go out of my way to talk to her either. I will be polite but it will be a long item before I have a conversation with her. The best part of the night was after dinner we played Trivial Pursuit and Billy and I won, on a question I knew the answer too. Ok, it was Pop Culture Trivial Pursuit but we won.

On Friday we went and go new beds for the boys. Donovan has been sleeping on a futon, with a very nice 8" innerspring mattress but poor G was still in his toddler bed. His poor little feet were often sticking between the bars at the bottom and he looked like the witch under the house in "The Wizard of Oz". We've been trying to get a bed for him for awhile but every place we looked they wanted so much money and they were so big. We ended up at Meijers where they had a nice metal bed frame that had a twin bunk on top and a place for a futon mattress on the bottom. The twin mattress for the top was also on sale so it was less than we though it would be.

On Saturday we got the boys room cleaned out and it was a good chance to get the old toys and clothes out of the room. It took a couple of hours to put the new bed together but I'm happy to say that Billy and I were able to get the bed together without any fighting. Even though we get along great in most situations, you put us in the home improvement realm and one of us stalks away in a snit. That didn't happen but it helped that the bed pieces were pretty big and didn't take require a lot of work to get together.

The kids love the bed. G sleeps on the bottom and he has room to stretch out and room for his 10 blankets(ok it's only 4 but seems like more) and his dozen stuffed animals that go to bed with them. Donovan loves being on the top bunk because he can hide some of his stuff so his brother can't even "look" at them.

Saturday night I went out with the lodge wives. We went to see "Menopause-The Musical"(not my choice of what to see). The play was not my cup of tea but it was cute and clever in spots. They all had amazing voices and I was able to appreciate that. Still it was hard while the rest of the wives were sharing their hot flash stories and I haven't got to the point yet. Still we went to dinner after which was yummy and we all split 3 different desserts.

On Sunday I spent the day catching up on things around the house while Billy and the boys went ice skating. Both of the boys have really caught on to skating and have a blast with dad. I had a good time the one time I went but I had a lot to do around the house.

I'm also in a great mood today. My evil plot has come along so nicely and I'm looking forward to seeing come to end in the next few days. I was also really stunned to find the new Mira Fairy Elf Kit in my mailbox today. A dear friend knew how much I wanted this kit and got it for me as an early Christmas gift. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness and genorosity. I'm truly blessed!

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, December 01, 2005 , Blogger Jill in CA said...

I know it would be a huge pain, but I'd probably rip out the beads and get the delicas. I say this because that is exactly what I did on Cottage Garden Fairy. I had the Mill Hills, started beading, and realized it was too crowded and looked *bad*. Bear in mind I used a 32 count hand-dyed so they were even more crammed than on regular 32 count, but it was really awful. If you're that confilcted over it then I'd take the extra time to do it. I think you'll be glad you did in the end. I'm sure if you decide to just use the Mill Hills it will still look good, but I have not regretted the extra time and effort when I ripped out the beading and switched to delicas.

By the way, I have the Mirabilia Elf Fairy kit, too; I'm going to order delicas to replace those beads also and I'd be happy to send you some when I order mine (I get them in tubes with *more* than enough for a few projects).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home