Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Still sick

Donovan is home another day. He was much better yesterday but his temp rose again last night before bed back to 100 so I decided to give him another day to rest. It was normal this morning and other than still looking a bit tired I think he is on the mend. On the other hand I don't want to send him back to school too soon and risk him getting something else. Tomorrow I told him though it's back to school, you don't want to him too far behind.

Having him has been nice, kind of, except for the sick part. It's been nice to have him lay next to me on the couch and we've been doing a lot of talking. I try for the two of us to get some alone time but it's hard especially now that he's in school. He is such a thoughtful kid and it's great to see him turning into his own person. We've been talking a lot about a boy at school that has been causing him some problems. It's nothing to major but enough of a problem that I had to send a note to his teacher last week. We've been talking about ways to handle him when he gets back to school. We've also been working on some homework his teacher was nice enough to send home with G yesterday from school.

G is doing fine. He was only out the one day and is back to his normal self. In fact today I told him he had to notch it down he little since he jumped out of bed at full speed. That's G though, he's either off or on, no in between. I admire his "full speed ahead, head first into life" approach he can have but sometimes at 6am it is a bit much.

Yesterday was good. I continue to feel a bit better. I think my freak out is over and I feel like I'm getting some coverings back on my nerves. It's helped that DH has been a bit more supportive and around much more. He didn't have a hockey game on Saturday so that was nice to have him the whole weekend. He also skipped lodge last night and stayed home instead. I think he knew I needed a bit of a break. Hockey is starting back up again and he'll be gone a lot again but it's been a very nice interlude the past week.

We watched a very funny old movie on Turner Classic Movies called "I Love You Again" starring William Powell and Mryna Loy. We discovered these two actors about 2 years ago when we ran across a series of movies on the network called "The Thin Man". They were such fun, screwball comedy/ mysteries based on characters from a novel(or maybe a series of novels) Nick and Nora Charles by Dashel Hammet. They are a married couple, she is wealthy from her family, he was a detective before marrying her and there is always a mystery that only Nick Charles can solve. Along the way are a cast of funny side kicks showing up to help/hinder along the way. They have a loyal dog named Asta and a son that shows up in later movies(but the disappears again).

DH was drawn by the beauty of Mryna Loy and I was drawn in to the character played by William Powell, Nick Charles. He was such a Ne'er do well that seemed to spend most of the movie with a drink in one hand and cigarette in the other. They had such chemistry between them and they were fun and unlike most movies they made marriage look good(I was a little creeped out that he kept calling her Mommy but it was a different time)There is 6 in the series and we've seen all but the last one, "The Song of the Thin Man".

This movie last night was similar, they were married, but he played a guy who had amnesia and after a hit on the head discovers that for the last 9 years he was living his life as a pillar of the community in a small town. This horrified him since he was a con man before the amnesia. He decides to go back to his upstanding life to "swindle" the town and make off with the loot. Along the way he discovers he is married to Mryna Loy and decides to "romance" her just a little since she is in the process of divorcing him because he's such an up tight prig. The movie was very contrived plot wise and they played the amnesia bit to the hilt but it was also very funny and endearing. It all ends well and it's nice to have all the lose ends tied up when it was over.

I was sad to see it's not available on DVD because I would love to own a copy. I checked out the TCM site and it will be on again, along with another comedy with the two of them as a married couple called "Love Crazy". TCM has a handy little reminder feature where they will e-mail you before the movie is on so hopefully I'll be able to tape them both. (I also added the Thin Man boxed set to my wish list). The two of them did several movies together and I will have to do some browsing online and see if I can track down the names of them and see if I can see them. The host on TCM said that they were a well known on screen couple that did 14 movies together but that Mryna Loy thought it funny that she was seen at the perfect wife. In real life she was married and divorced 4 times. This for some reason seemed to intrigue DH. I think he has a new crush. Should I be jealous considering she passed away in 1993?

1 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, March 22, 2006 , Blogger Autumn said...

I really liked the Thin Man series too. I think I watched the maraton on TCM too. They were a lot of fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home