Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Thanks Mr. Meth Head!

It's not often that as a law abiding citizen that a "drug" law affects you. I don't do illegal drugs, never had, but yet thanks to those who do, I'm suffered most of the weekend.

I watched with interest as a law was passed that made it so a safe, legal and effective, decongestant, had to be put behind the counter, signed for and dispensed by a pharmacist, because certain people could extract it and turn it into Meth. I understood why and I thought, oh big, deal. Then as spring progressed and my allergies kicked in I realized, what a pain this was when I tried to buy Tylenol Sinus to relive the pressure from my sinuses. It became an even bigger ordeal when I got sick with a terrible head cold on a holiday weekend.

I wasn't feeling good on Saturday, not awful, and because we got hit with our first bout of pretty hot/humid weather I thought it was maybe it was that. I went to bed early on Saturday night and woke about 3am feeling just awful. I had the chills, pounding headache, sore throat, dry cough, and congestion. In the "old" days I could have hopped in my car, gone to my 24 pharmacy near my house,bought some Ny-quil, or some other multi-symptom cold reliever, and felt better in about 20 minutes. Now because this safe, legal, effective, OTC, medication has be be dispensed by a pharmacist, and it being a holiday weekend, no such thing was available or at least not until after Noon on Sunday, and then they only thing they had was some liquid Day Quil(the pharmacist told me they just don't stock very much of it anymore). It's just so frustrating that it's become such an ordeal just to buy something so simple and easy. You can't even stock up on it when you do find it cause you can only buy one thing at a time. I think from now on I'm going to make it a practice to keep stuff like this in the house. Normally I don't, I would buy it when a cold would hit, use it up, and wait until the next cold set in before buying more. And it got me to thinking that thankfully I live near a big city, I have 5 drug stores within 5 miles of my house and one of them had a pharmacy open on a Sunday afternoon. I'm sure there are lots of towns that don't, what would I have done then? Suffered until today before I could buy the safe, legal, and effective, OTC decogenstant?

Being sick in the summer is just h horrible. That's not saying that being sick any other time is Ok, but when it's cold out, it's nice to crawl into bed, cover up and sleep or rest until you are feeling better. I had to get sick when we were hit with 90+ degree weather with high humidity for my illness. I can take one or the other, hot or sick, but both together is no fun. Even now at 6am it's still 75.

Being sick kind of put a damper on the weekend. I did get to the bead shop on Saturday. DH and the boys came with me since it was my birthday and they wanted to spend the day with me. It was a nice thought, really it was, but I would have rather gone alone. I felt like there was a clock ticking on their patience. I would have loved to have looked more but I got what I went there for, the beads for "Forest Goddess" and I got them at a discount because of a coupon they had on their site. I'm not sure yet how the beads are going to look on the piece since I was too sick to really do much stitching over the weekend. I had to pick very different beads then what I had originally thought. Some had to do with not a lot of color choices in Delica 6/0 beads and because when I put the beads together that Mira did pick, I didn't like them so much. The 6/0 bead, the bugle beads, and one of the seed beads I know will look great together and great on the piece. One bead, I'm not so sure of, but I can always go back and try again. Since I had the coupon(20% off), I bought beads from my next project, and treated myself to some gold beads since I always need those and didn't have any in my stash. It was fun, but I felt a bit rushed and pressured. Next time I will insist on going alone.

After the bead store the guys took me out to a late lunch/early dinner in honor of my birthday. It was D's idea and he was very proud that he thought of it. It was cute that in the middle of the meal he tried to convince me 39 wasn't really that old. After that we went to my MIL house where she gave me a gorgeous Celtic cross stitch book which I didn't have the heart to tell her I already owned. Still I made a big fuss and I figure I can always eBay my other copy or offer it up for trade. I was slightly disappointed that DH didn't really do anything for the day. I didn't get a card from him or the boys, no cake, no ice cream. I know my Jason tickets were my gift but it would of been nice to feel like Saturday was a little different than any other day. He said he just didn't think of it and he wasn't sure if I wanted to celebrate the day since I was kind of funky about turning 39 so he didn't do anything. It would be nice if after 18 years he would get it but I have to remember that birthdays growing up were very different from mine. Still it hurt a little especially all the things I do for him and how great I've been about all the extra time he's been spending on hockey. I know life isn't a score card where even thing is equal and balanced but still, a little something, a card at least would have been nice....

Memorial Day was Ok, but so hot. I felt a bit guilty because I didn't go up to see DH and the boys in the parade. I had slept horribly the night before because of my cold and I wanted nothing more than a nap before going to the lodge picnic/BBQ. After I got everyone dressed and out the door I went back to bed and slept until DH called to tell me that they were done with the parade. The boys didn't seem to mind me not being there and had a blast. They helped pass out over 1000 flags.

After that was the Lodge picnic and with my cold I should of stayed home but I dosed myself up on the Day Quil and went anyways. Thankfully it was at Mary's house, who has A/C, and except for helping to bring in the food from the grill, we spent the afternoon in her well cooled house. I washed my hands a lot, tried not to breathe or sneeze on everyone and Mary told me she was glad I came, cold and all. It was a nice afternoon.

I slept horribly again last night. I couldn't get comfortable and about 4am this morning I just gave up and got up. We are headed to near 90 again today. The heat is supposed to break late this afternoon with some thunderstorms and we will have more moderate temps the rest of the week. Hopefully my cold will clear up to.

1 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, May 30, 2006 , Blogger Jenny said...

Sorry to hear you were feeling so sick. We were recently hit with a summer cold too - so I feel your pain. One quick tip though, instead of Day-Quill, my doctor told me to take Musinex for a cold. Apparently the decongestant just makes your mucus thicker and harder to evacuate from your sinuses. The Musinex thins the mucus making it easier to blow your nose and recover faster. Anyway, that is what she said, and it doesn't have to be dispensed by a pharmasist cause there is none of the decongestant in it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home