Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Ok, I'm going to rant a little!!

When we were looking to adopt a cat we decided to go to the humane society to adopt her. We looked at a couple of rescue leagues first, and then a couple of other shelters but decided to go with the Detroit shelter of the Humane Society, for a couple of reasons. For one thing it was a lot closer via freeway then the suburban shelters and I figured out of all the shelters I bet this one doesn't get a lot of a people in there adopting. I know a lot of white suburbanites never venture forth into Detroit proper and I don't want to be like that. There are good sections, things to do, and I don't want to paint the whole entire city with the same brush. There are good things about Detroit and things to do there.

When we went on Friday, I was slightly put off by the attitude of the people we were dealing with. They weren't completely helpful. I was looking for a particular cat that I had seen online. They took forever to find any information on her and I was happy that she had been adopted but I had called earlier in the day(about an hour before we went) and was told she was there. I also tried to take into account we got there about an hour before closing on a Friday night. We tried to be quick about our process but I found a lot of the paperwork on the cats cages were incomplete. I was trying to pick a cat that was ready to go home but I couldn't find that indicated on most of the "info" on the cages.

When we found the kitty we wanted I was disappointed that she couldn't come right home with us but understood(I'm still amazed that they fix something so young and tiny). The guy told us we had to pick her up on Monday between 3-4pm. We told him straight up it wasn't possible. He said then for us to call today, and let them know that, and it really seemed like no big deal, as long as we were there by closing. I know on our end it was very clear that it *was not* possible to be there anytime before 4pm.

I call this morning to tell them that we couldn't be there by 4 but would be there by 4:30-4:45pm and I was told it would be an additional $15 for a boarding fee. I was kind of put off because it's less than an hour. I mean I could see if it was a 1/2 a day or more but come on, less than an hour? I explained that on Friday I wasn't told this but that I had been clear on my end. She then wanted to go over the fact I signed a form, and who did I talk do etc. etc. etc. I was just so put off by her attitude. I had paid my money for this cat, I was providing a good and loving home and I just got some major attitude! I ended up saying Fine and hanging up.

Ok, yeah, I was told, just like I told them it was impossible, and was told that it would be Ok. And yeah, I signed a form, except the form was incorrect. It clearly said I would pick her up, on the next business day, between the hours of 9-10am. I asked them to correct the form or something and again they said "no biggie" just sign it, so I did.

I'll go, pick up the kitty, pay the extra $15, which I will look at as a donation, not a boarding fee, and come home and enjoy the new cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home