Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Illness, injury, and a long weekend.

The weekend started out Ok. Friday was good, DH had a good time at clinic, I enjoyed watching a movie, and we had a couple of hours together after he got home from clinic.

Then Saturday D woke up in the worst mood. He was cranky most of the day but did better when early afternoon we went to my MIL house for my SIL's 40th birthday party. He ate well, had cake/ice cream and had a blast playing with his cousins.

We went from there to the arena for Dh's play off game. DH likes to be early so we got there an hour before the game start. As we were waiting I noticed that D was a little off. He told me he had eaten too much cake.

The game started late(the previous game went into overtime) and about 1/2 way through the first period I realized D was sick. He was warm but in the cold arena it was hard to tell if it was because my hands were cold or if he was running a temp. I know he was shivering, and looked not so good. I was thankful that my SIL's sister was there and kept an eye on G while I took D out into the warm lobby. I couldn't convince him to stay because he wanted to watch dad play so we were in/out quite a few times.

It was a pretty intense game and they managed to tie it up and keep it tied for awhile. A few minutes into the second period I looked away for a second, looked back and saw DH on the ice. Now I've seen him fall before, but he gets up pretty quick. Not this time. He wasn't moving, not even in pain and my heart stopped. It started beating again when a spectator for the other team started yelling that my DH better hurry up off the ice, and that he was delaying the game(I nearly poked her eyes out). He did finally get up but it was a good 2 minutes before he did and he had to be helped off the ice by a couple of his team mates.

I wanted to rush to the bench but I wasn't sure what the rule were and thought it would look bad . He did play again, but he looked stiff and he was obviously favoring something. The game went into overtime but they lost in the last minute 4-3.

After the game it was obvious D was running a fever. Thankfully someone had a motrin and he was able to take that and it worked pretty quick(I'm so thankful that he can swallow tablets now). He didn't want to go home but wanted to go over for pizza with the team.

When DH came walking out of the locker room, I could see it on his face he was in pain, serious pain. I asked what happened and it was a simple fall. He hit a bad patch of ice, and down he went. He fell wrong, all on his side, and his chest protector and elbow pads edges both jammed into his ribs. It completely knocked the wind out of him and he said it took him a long time to get it back. My SIL checked him pretty well in the locker room and his ribs aren't broken but they hurt bad. We did go over and have some pizza with the team and but didn't stay long.

Sunday started early and I spent most of the day waiting on either D, whose temp spiked to 103 by 3pm or DH who as long as he stayed perfectly still felt Ok, but couldn't do much more than sit. It doesn't hurt for DH to breathe and amazingly he has no bruising, but any movement, laughing, or sneezing are all bad. He had to sleep propped up on his back.

D is home today from school and I doubt highly he will be there tomorrow either. He was crying that he is going to miss the end of school, can't say goodbye to his friends and teacher, and is going to miss the pizza party they are having today at lunch. I feel bad for him but he is too sick to go. His temp is down from yesterday but 101 means you are too sick to go to school. If it spikes again I will have to make a dr's appt for him. Last night was pretty restless for him but I hope I can convince him to nap sometime today.

DH was feeling slightly better this morning, or so he said. He took a really long hot shower before he headed to work and I'm thankful he doesn't have a more physical job, most of it is done behind a desk so he should be OK. Of course he wouldn't admit to me if he was in pain so I'm just going on how he was moving this morning. He too was disappointed this morning that unless his ribs feel 100% on by Friday he will have to miss the last clinic, and pizza party afterwards. I guess they can grow up but they are still little boys at heart.

G woke up late this morning and he's not looking so hot either. His temp is normal but he looks tired as am I. I'm hoping he doesn't get whatever D has and can finish out his school year.

I'll have to call the school later today and see if there is anything I need to get for D from the school. They cleaned out their lockers on Friday and it sounded like the next day and 1/2 were not going to be that busy. I doubt he will be missing much education. I'm assuming they can mail his report card but I need to make sure.

What a long weekend it turned out to be....

3 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, June 12, 2006 , Blogger LoriU said...

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry!! Your poor guys! Hope everyone gets well SOON!

Lori

 
At 11:52 AM, June 12, 2006 , Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

Sarah, I'm so sorry! A long weekend indeed. Hope all of your boys (young and not-so-young) are feeling more themselves soon. {{hugs}}

 
At 11:59 AM, June 12, 2006 , Blogger Suzanne said...

Here's hoping the boys (big and small LOL) are well on their way to recovery. Sorry to hear D will miss out on the party at school, and no, I doubt if there's much learning going on! My DS has been watching movies and playing games on the computer now that the Standardized tests are over.

(HUGS)
Suz

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home