Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Did I mention I'm anxious for school to get out?

This morning started out really nice. We all got a good nights sleep, Billy was in a good mood, the kids were in a good mood and I was looking forward to a day filled with some errands.

Donovan lately has wanted to be the first one at the bus stop so he can get on the bus first and therefore chose the "best" seat. We were a couple of minutes behind today so instead of walking the two blocks to the bus stop we drove. I waited in the car until the bus pulled away and proceeded back home. It would be a very confusing story ito explain if you aren't familiar with the area but the gist of it was I was stopped, someone was trying to turn around in the middle of the street and backed into me. Of course they were driving a big SUV while I was in my little Neon. Her car sustained zero damage while mine has a good sized dent and chipped paint on the drivers side of the car above the tire.

This is my first ever accident(I've never had a ticket either). I did what I was supposed to. I had my insurance, registration and license out. She came out of her car yelling at *me*, that it was my fault, that I was pulled behind her(I was stopped remember). I refused to yell, or get upset, or assign blame. I asked for her info, which she then refused to give. She said I could give her *my* info and she would contact me. I didn't know what to do. I was uncomfortable with providing personal info with none in return. Since I don't have a cell phone(well, I do it just doesn't have any minutes on it) and was just two blocks from home I told her I was going home and calling the police, which I did.

A couple of hours later the cop came to the house. I was very, very nervous since I felt like I left the accident site. I was also worried that some how I was going to be to blame and that I was going to get a ticket(paranoid I know). I explained calmly what happened, that she was trying to turn around basically in the middle of the street and that I was stopped behind another car waiting to go through a stop sign when she hit me. He said it was obvious from the dent that I wasn't moving when I was hit. She was clearly at fault since she was turning around where she shouldn't of been. She doesn't intend to file with her insurance company(yeah, since she has zero damage on her car) and we have a $1,000 deductible so we don't intent to either.

He took what he called an "informational" report instead of a "true" report because a full report would be turned into both insurance companies as an accident report and *could* be used against us to jack up our rates whether a claim of any kind was filed. It's on file in case we do change our minds and want to pursue it with the insurance company.

I'm going to have my FIL look a the car for sure when I pick G up from school because he used to own a bump/paint shop. I'm pretty sure it's nothing more than cosmetic but I have a bunch of errands I want to run today and I don't want to drive it very far without making sure it's Ok.

I was really frustrated trying to get a hold of Billy this morning. I realized I didn't have his new number at work, we put it on Donovan/G emergency contact cards at school but I don't have it written down anywhere. I called his cell phone(which is how I get a hold of him if I need too. The are pretty picky about personal calls. I never call the cell phone unless it's urgent and instead I will send him a text message if I need to ). For some reason he wasn't picking up and wasn't calling me back even though I left 3 messages. I then looked the company up in the phone book but the number I got was a fax number. I then tried the various numbers he has called us at home from our caller ID(thank goodness I don't erase it often). All I got from all the numbers were a recording telling to put in my parties extension which I didn't know(and he doesn't have one anyway). Finally I got a human,who I told who I was and that it was a slight emergency but she didn't know who DH was. She was able to transfer me to his department and I finally got to him.

He misunderstood me and thought *I* first got hit, like punched at the but stop and then thought I had been *hit* by a car while I was walking. Both freaked him out but then he realized it was the car that got hit. He took it really well. A lot of husbands, whether it was the wives fault or not, might of gotten mad. He didn't at all, just more concerned for me, who admittedly at this point was a little upset. I know it's not a big deal but it was a big deal to me. I was minding my own business and got hit. It seemed BIG to me at least...

It's wired that I've lived in this city 8 years this August. In all that time I've only had to call the police 4 times, 3 of those have been in the last 10 days alone(twice for our neighbors and now this morning). The guy who was here was very nice and very professional. I hope it's a long, long, long time before I have to call them again!!!

4 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, May 17, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, you can contact her insurance company and put in a claim with them. You won't even have to get your insurance company involved. You may have to let them know that you have contacted the police.

 
At 10:11 AM, May 17, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're ok and the car is harmed too much. Isn't it amazing the way some people think? She hits you and it's your fault?

Meanwhile get thee Billy's work number ASAP and keep it handy. This COULD have been an extreme emergency where he would have been needed immediately.

 
At 8:00 PM, May 17, 2005 , Blogger Sue said...

I'm sorry this happened,Sarah.

Glad you're okay.

Take care of yourself!
(Susan in SoCal)

 
At 10:14 PM, May 17, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the accident wasn't major! If it's in the report, contact her insurance company and go through them. Although she will probably try to claim it wasn't her fault. She probably has a large deductible too and doesn't want to pay. I never heard of anyone so rotten they won't exchange info at the scene!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home