Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Monday, June 20, 2005

Teasing, A parental Dilemma!

In my childhood I was teased pretty badly in grade school. I remember one boy in particular, LaDon Nixon, who made my 4th grade year really miserable. I remember feeling sick on the bus ride to school and not being able to concentrate at times during class.


I was happy when Donovan started school that they take this kind of thing much more seriously then they did when I was in grade school. I know you can't completely wipe it out but I think they watch out for it more.

Right at the end of school I was waiting at the bus stop with Donovan and one of the older boys started picking on him. It wasn't anything too serious but kept calling him donut head(amazing what kids come up as an insult) and I know it could of been much worse. I held back at first because I wanted to see first if it bugged Donovan and how he handled it. He handled it pretty well and told the kid to shut up(I let the not so nice way he said it slide). The kid persisted and it wasn't until he continued that I stepped in. He stopped pretty quickly but I was proud that Donovan's first reaction was to stand up for himself and then let most of the rest of just slide.

Tonight it happened to Gaelan. Gaelan joined t-ball this year but I don't think his heart is in it and it shows. Even though it's all for fun, he can't really catch or hit the ball. Billy and I have offered a lot to get out there and practice with him but G is not interested. I think really he only joined t-ball because Donovan was playing baseball but Billy said he'd sign them both up.


Initially G's lack of skill wasn't that big of a deal because all the kids were bad. Now after a few games and some practicing most of the kids are at least catching on. Not G. He's content to run the bases, draw in the sand with his feet and take frequent water breaks.

Today at practice the coach was lobbing balls at the kids for them to catch. They were easy, even I could of caught them. I got out there on the field with him to try to show him, in my very girly way, how to at least get behind the ball(if you can't catch it, stop it with your feet at least). He caught on slightly but he still missed a lot of the balls(I admire the coach for trying though, he's determined to teach G something). A little boy next to him though thought it was funny every time G missed a ball and laughed. He then started in on a chant that "Gaelan is Gay". I waited for G to stand up for himself but frankly I'm not sure if G heard or really cared. I did however and I said something to the kid. It stopped for like a minute and he was back at it. Thankfully they moved on to batting practice so he wasn't near G for the rest of the practice.

So now I'm pondering what to do. It didn't bug G but I don't think the kid should be talking like that. I couldn't tell which parental unit he belonged to because we had to leave pretty quickly after practice because we had to get back across town to pick up Billy and Donovan at their practice since we are now down to just one vehicle. Billy thinks we should say something to the coach or at the very least at the next game try to figure out which parent the child belongs to and say something. I'm not sure though...My gut reaction of course was to go over to the kid and pop him like a pimple but I didn't and now away from the situation I'm wondering if maybe we should jsut let this go and see what happens next.

It looks like it's going to be a long rest of the season whatever we do. G is already on the verge of quitting. He doesn't like it, he's not really that coordinated and he has not interest in trying to get any better. I think he would be much happier just hanging out at the park and watching his brother play but we are trying to teach him about commitment and being part of a team.

I told Billy next practice he can take G and handle it.

2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, June 21, 2005 , Blogger Autumn said...

Yeah, try growing up with a name like Autumn LOL It wasn't too bad until High School. My maiden name is Long. So then it became Autumn Schlong. I find it rather amusing now, but at the time I wasn't too happy about it. I would talk to Gaelan about it too and let him know that this stuff happens to everyone and at least get him prepared for it.

 
At 10:25 PM, June 21, 2005 , Blogger Sue said...

I remember stepping in when my children couldn't get the others to stop teasing, if it were possible for me to step in.

I only remember one child teasing my daughter, and that's the time I intervened. Most the time my children just learned to shrug off others' mean words and that way the teaser quit.

On the other hand, the 'gay' comment is really upsetting to me. I would tell the coach. The coach should talk about name calling and he should let the children know it won't be tolerated.

It makes me so sad to hear about children being mean. It happens, and it always has. As you said, thank goodness schools, parents, and teachers are now taking it seriously.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home