Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Made the first dreaded call...

When I quit work to stay home with the kids Billy and I did what we could to protect me in case of his death. This was a big concern for him since his dad died at the age of 32 of spinal cancer. DH was just 10 months old when it happened and it left his mom with 3 kids under the age of 5 without much financially. His mom struggled his whole life to get out of that hole. One of the things he insisted on was that I have credit in my own name. To that end I got a credit card. I used it, more than I should of, and it has a hefty balance because of it. I've been keeping up the payments, paying extra when we could and not using it. When he got laid off last time we were still able to maintain that payment since he got re-employed so quickly but then we had a bunch of car disaster. I called my CC company in January hoping to work out a payment schedule but they gave me a 2 month deferment. I was so relieved and it made a HUGE difference in our financial picture. I never guessed it would come back to haunt me so soon.

Said CC payment is due in two weeks. Even if Billy got a job TODAY there is no way we could make the full payment, partial maybe, but not the full amount. I decided to be up front with them and called them this morning. They were actually quite nice about it but since I've already had a deferment earlier one is not available now. They could split the payment up but again I don't know financially if we will be able to do it. I told them I would send what I could, when I could and left it at that. They want me to call back in two weeks and let them know what I will be sending. And really even $10 will keep them off your back for awhile. I really didn't want to make that call but I did it and I'm glad it's out of the way.

I also have to keep reminding myself that 1. They can't garnish an unemployment check. 2. most places are going to be at least somewhat understanding for a month or so and 3. most importantly from watching what my BIL went through it can take a long time to lose a house. It's way to early to panic. He has only technically been unemployed 2 days. He's filed unemployment, he has one more payroll check coming(for his last week of work), we will make July's house payment and we are selling our second car. If that sells we will at least have 1/2-3/4 of August's house payment. That's not to bad considering the amount of notice we were given.

This is really giving me a chance to practice the philosophy of living in the moment. Every one says we need to be more "present" in our lives. Appreciate the beauty of the day, appreciate what you have, stop and smell the roses so to speak. Well, since smelling roses is free I should do it!!

Billy is off golfing this afternoon. His brother offered to take him and since he has yet to golf this year he went. He did spend an hour or so online this morning, refined his resume and e-mailed a couple more.

He has yet to call any of his contacts which I wish he would do. I think he might have better luck at getting a better paying job with someone who knows him and knows his work. Still I promised myself I wouldn't be one of those wives who micro-manage their husbands and their lives. I have to let him do it, and at his pace. His resume is out and all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and pray for what ever will be, will be(and the grace to accept whatever it is God choses for us, something that I've always struggled with)

My only gripe right now is weather. It has been so damn hot and humid that I just feel like I'm going to melt into the floor. Yesterday it was 92 degrees F and when you factored the humidity it was 102. It's not even afternoon yet and it's already 84 and muggy as heck. We don't dare turn on the air! Even with 3 fans I'm still sweating up a storm and sleeping has been really hard for all of us the last few nights. They say the weather will break somewhat today with some storms but they still are predicting a hotter than average summer UGH!!!! Let's hope the weather people are right about the temp but wrong about the summer as a hole.


I got to see Jason's video again this morning on VH-1. I'm not keen on the video as a whole or the choice of this as the first single but he is damn fine to look at first thing in the morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home