Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Monday, March 27, 2006

More illness and man, I'm tired!!

I just got both boys healthy and feeling good and illness strikes again. G was up from 11pm until 4am Saturday night into Sunday morning with a stomach bug. I have to say he is the most agreeable sick kid around but wanted to snuggle and wanted mom so I spent most of the night either at the foot of his bed or with him snuggled into bed with me. DH thankfully cut his after hockey socializing short and was home to help but I was still pretty wiped out on Sunday. I did get in a nap but I had a lot to do so I went to bed last night just wiped out.

I myself woke at 3am boiling hot. I wondered if it might be a hot flash(gasp, but I am nearly 39 so not unheard of at my age). I took off my Pj's, threw on a t-shirt, went back to sleep. 4:15am I woke up freezing cold, I put my PJ's bottoms back on. 5:55am boiling hot. I got up then. When I stood up my stomach rolled, UGH!! I had what G had. Thankfully it had been awhile since I ate anything so hopefully I'll skip the actual getting sick part but I feel horrible. I can't get warm now, achy, and way, way tired.

Other than the illness it was a pretty good weekend. I got everything done I needed too. I got all the laundry done, the grocery shopping, the errands, etc. DH was busy with hockey(the clinic started back up on Friday night and then the game on Saturday night). I missed him but he is having fun.

I got out a little while on Saturday. I went to the movies with the Lodge Wives. We saw the Disney movie "Eight Below". I knew very little about the movie going in but I did enjoy it. The one guy couldn't act but it was a good, basic Disney film. I felt bad for the one lady who sobbed through most of it. Sure, it had it's sad moments that choked me up to but it was a Disney movie after all so I could pretty much guess the ending going in.

After the movie we went out to dinner. Billy left the boys with my MIL and met us. We had some yummy bar food(cheese sticks, YUM) and some beer. We had to leave early so we had enough time to get the boys and get DH home in time for his hockey game.

When we picked the boys up from my MIL house I was reading one of her local papers. On the front page of it was another story about Donovan's teacher last year(She is the one charged with assault after another adult witnessed her putting her hands a 6yo throat in the hallway). A second charge of assault has been added. This time a parent of a child in her class has come forward and said that this teacher grabbed her child's shirt, yelled, made him cry in front of everyone, and refused to let him go to lunch and he missed eating his lunch. This charge sounds credible but without a witness it seems a little shakier than the other. The quote from her lawyer made it sound like now parents are just piling on.

really bristled at the assertition that she was a beloved teacher and had a stellar record. After a few chats with parents last year I got the impression that this teacher had a reputation of being a bit hard on the kids, yelling a lot, not speaking nice to the kids and not loved at all. I know I found her *very* difficult to deal with and I did take a concern at one time to the principal. Nothing physical happened thank goodness with Donovan but I know he struggled horribly in her class last year. I think having her as a teacher contributed to that. Within just a couple of months this year he was reading not only at grade level but is now reading above. His math and spelling skills are excellent(he aced another spelling test getting 22 out of 22 right, after missing 3 days of school due to illness). It just goes to show what a good teacher can do and how bad one can really hamper. I wish now I had pushed more to have Donovan moved from her class but hindsight is 20/20. I'll listen to my gut next time.

I wish I could find a link to the article I read over the weekend but that paper is not online and I could not find it listed in the other local papers that are online. I don't think the second charge has gotten as much press as the first. She goes to trail by jury, in April on the first charge and they aren't sure yet if they want to try them together or separately.

I also think the second charge really does seal her fate and she will not be back to teaching.

I'm off to rest some more on the couch.

1 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, March 27, 2006 , Blogger Jenny said...

Sorry to hear G and you have been sick. Katie is just getting over a stomach bug too - seems like there is all sorts of crud going around right now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home