Sarah527 Blog

The life of a single mom of two boys as she explores new ideas, new thoughts, and a new career.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What can I have stitched by July 7?

My SIL(my Dh's sister) announced yesterday that she is going to marry her boyfriend on July 7th. It's going to be a small civil ceremony and there isn't a lot of room for family so we will be spared that, but there will be a reception afterwards at my MIL house. I need to call my MIL sometime today to see what kind of help she needs.

I'd liked to say hooray!! But it's hard. The guy is an idiot, mouthy, drinks too much and I just don't like him. It should not have been a surprise but it was a bit to me because she was very anti-marriage when she got divorced. One of the things she said for a long time was how stifled she felt when she was married but yet she was barely single before hooking up with this guy and has been with him since almost the day the divorce was final. Still it's her choice so what else can you do but smile, say congratulations, and wish them well.

I'm trying to think of something to stitch for them, or decide *if* I want to stitch something for them. I don't think I have enough notice to get something done in time for the actual wedding but probably by the end of the summer. I'll have to dig through my stash. I have a couple of really nice Irish sayings/poems, one I was thinking of doing for her for Christmas and their new house, since the colors in it match the blue in her dining room. I can take a look at it today and see if how long it may take me to complete.

We got G's report card yesterday. He did well, grew in a lot of area's, and the teacher said he matured a lot and that he was a joy to have in her class(I wonder if she says that to all the parents). The only down side is that he doesn't take to challenges well and when things are difficult he would rather cry and give up then try. It was the same thing that Donovan struggled with for a long time and eventually outgrew. I hope that G will do the same. The hardest part about parenting I think is to see your worse qualities reflected back at you and it seems that both of my boys have my low self esteem. We work hard to improve it but some of it will just come with age.

I don't have D's report card yet. Since he was ill I have to pick it up. Yesterday morning DH went on his way to work to pick it up but his teacher wasn't in yet so he wasn't able to get it. They were supposed to send his report card home with G but while the note saying they were supposed to was in G's back pack, the report card was not. The teachers and staff will be there until the end of the week so we plan tomorrow to walk up to the school, get the report card, and then stop at the park on the way home. I'd do that today but I have the worse headache this morning and I have a bunch of stuff to do around the house to get ready for tonight's BBQ.

I made Suz's Asian Cole Slaw last night and all I can say is YUM!! It was so good, really fast to make, and I'm sure it will be a hit. I'm really looking forward to tonight. It's amazing how much fun we all have together and it's a lot of fun planning the menu and finding new things to cook. Next week I think we will grill some flank steak and make fajita's out of them and I'm looking for simple recipes for Salsa, guacamole, etc.

I also wanted to mention that DH bought me a little present. He said he felt bad that he didn't do much for either my birthday or mother's day so he bought me something. All I can say is it was some pretty unmentionables. I know a lot of women don't like gifts of lingerie because it feels like it's more of a gift for a the guy then you but I don't mind it. It helps remind me that I'm more than just some "old" mom and it it's nice to see that after 18 years he still looks at me that way, celluite and all!

5 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, June 14, 2006 , Blogger LoriU said...

There are a few Lizzie Kate designs that are pretty quick and wedding-related. I am at work so I can't look right now for the names, but I may have a few in my stash I could send you!

Good news on the report card!
I had a terrible headache Sun. and Mon. too....I think it was a viral thing because a few other people have it at work.

Lori

 
At 6:57 AM, June 14, 2006 , Blogger LoriU said...

I'd be thrilled if DH bought me some lingerie....unfortunately he is not the type to go in that department!!!!

Enjoy it!

 
At 7:03 AM, June 14, 2006 , Blogger LoriU said...

Good point about watching for strep....I have seen people have it and not even get a sore throat. Will your dr. office let you just go in for a culture (and not charge for a visit if you just see the nurse for a culture)?

Lori

 
At 8:31 AM, June 14, 2006 , Blogger Terri said...

For something small and "elegant" what about Sweetheart Tree's Teeny Wedding Announcement?

http://thesweethearttree.com/cgi-bin/detail.pl?SV-T16

 
At 12:15 PM, June 14, 2006 , Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

I'd love unmentionalbes from DH, but he doesn't trust himself to go shopping for me. This is the man who asked me to pick out my own engagement ring so he could be sure I would like it. LOL I think it was sweet of your DH. As far as what to stitch for them, maybe a personalized Christmas ornament? Small, fast, and easy, plus doesn't have to be framed. And if it doesn't work out, you didn't put a lot of time and effort into it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home